Friday, July 6, 2007

All-Star Game Starter

Everybody’s talking about yesterday’s showdown between C.C. Sabathia and Justin Verlander as the competition for All-Star Game starter. Verlander came away with the victory and has his manager, Jim Leyland, making the all-important decision.

I suppose Josh Beckett gets a vote too. He has been fairly inconsistent though this season, and similar to Sabathia's case, I'm not a big believer in Wins as a vital statistic. Only time will tell who Leyland goes for, but me, I’m a Dan Haren backer. The guy has been amazing all season and led MLB in ERA for 90% of the season. Haren has an ERA that is .96 better than Verlander’s and 1.38 better than Sabathia’s. He also has more K’s and less walks than Verlander but is behind Sabathia in that category, so if the competition is between anyone, it should be Sabathia and Haren, with my choice being Mr. Haren.

No comments: